The family of Vyaundes (with various spellings) was in London and Cobham from at latest 1299 and Margery, the last of them, seem to have died about 1370. After that date, their land appears as a small manor, which Lord Cobham gave to the College of Cobham. It continued as a manor until by 1572 it had become a farm, with a lay owner. By 1803 it had become Fiance farm. Nowadays it is buried in the orchards to the south of Cobham College. We have good hopes of finding the site if the farmer allows it.
1299: Wlword, clerk of Cobham confirms a tenement in Cobham to Robert Wyande. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p57]
1302: Alice widow of Ralph Carectar confirms a messuage with house to Robert Wyande. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p57]
1307/1322: [temp Ed II] Sir Henry de Cobham jun. confirms land in Cobham to Robert Vyaund. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p57]
1322 Sep 27: Grant to Emma Viande, widow of Robert Viande of Cobham, of houses in London. Cart Bart H para 189
1322 Sep 28: Grant to Emma Viande, widow of Robert Viande of Cobham, of a brewhouse, shops & houses near the Red Cross in London. Cart Bart H para 448
1324 Sep 20: Grant by Emma Vyaunde, widow of Robert Vyaunde of Cobbeham, of houses in Smethefeld, London. Cart Bart H para 190
1324 Sep 20: Grant by Emma Vyaunde, widow of Robert Vyaunde of Cobbeham, of a brewhouse, shops & houses near the Red Cross in London. Cart Bart H para 449
1325: John, son of John Thomas confirms all his wood in Cobham to Robert Vyaund. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p57]
1338: Sir John de Cobham exchanges land in Cobham with Robert Vyaunde. [entered twice]. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p58]
1362: John Vyaunde lets to fee farm a curtilage at Plot in Cobham, to John Berket. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p59]
1369: John son of John de Ideleghe grants to Margery widow of John son of Robert Vyaunde, an annuity of 6s for her life for her surrender to him of her life interest in 50 acres in Cobham & Luddesdowne, which revert to him at her death. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p60]
1370: John de Cobham, Lord Cobham releases a rent charge for Vyaundys to Cobham Chantry. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p61]
1370: Hen. Hauk & others confirm to Reg de C[obham] & others a right of way between the Chantry & Vyaunds. Dering Colln deeds & charters [StvNb p61]
1375 Aug 6: Lease from Thos Buynton Bishop of Rochester to the Master & Chaplains of Cobham College of 5½ acres of land, parcel of Cobhambury manor, between the land of the Bishop of Rochester towards the S. & W. & the moat (fossatum) about the mans[e] of Cobham College; the cemetery of Cobham Church; the road from the College to Vyanndys towards the & the land of ye College called Poppynnefeld towards the E. at a rental of 2/6. BM Harl. Charter 43 I 31, dated at Trottysclyve [StvNb p27]
1435-6: Taxation of the parish of Cobham for one whole fifteenth 14 Henry VI taken by John Hale & Wm Skeper:
From the lordship of Cobham xxxiii s viii d
From the lordship of Horhurst [Henhurst] xx s
from the Master of the College for the tenement of Vianndez vii s
from the same for Northcourt manor iiii s
and 58 individual payments from ii d to v s
Harl Roll D5 [StvNb p28]
146: Vyands is mentioned as a manor belonging to Cobham College. Cecil MSS Court Rolls 14/6. Arch. Cant. Vol XXVII 1905 p.120
1517: Mentions of the court rolls of the manor. Cecil MSS Accounts 116/39. Arch. Cant. Vol XXVII 1905 p.120
1537 Jul 1: Rental of the lands of Cobham College: From Joan Girdler for the farm of le Viandes with its appurtenances v li iij s iiii d per annum. Arch. Cant. Vol XXVII 1905 p.96
1572 A terr’or [terrier] of the landes belonginge to the late dissolved College of Cobham:
IN THE TENURE OF GYLBERTE YONGE:
One tenement cawled the Vyance, wt. the Barnes stabelles and other owt howses and one yearde.
One Crofte cawled payntors Bowndethe uppon a Lane leadinge from the Vyance to Cobham streate towardes the Easte, uppon the longe garden in the tenure of John Melsham towardes the Sowthe, uppon the Landes of the Lorde Cobham and Robert Spryver towardes the northe, and uppon the Landes of theyres of Clynke towardes the weste, and conteynth iiij acres.
One other Crofte called Culver Crofte, Bowndeth uppon the highe waye leading from Rochester to Cobham towardes the northe, uppon the Landes of Wyllm. Russe towardes the Easte, uppon the Tenement cawled the vyance towardes the Sowthe, and uppon the Lane leadinnge from the sayed Vyance to Cobham streate towardes the west, and conteyne vij acres.
One other Crofte cawled Skryveners, Bowndethe uppon the Landes of Willm. Russe and Robert Spryver towardes the northe, uppon the Landes belonginnge to the Busshoppe off Rochester towardes the Sowthe, uppon the Landes of the sayed Robert Spryver and the sayed Busshopps Landes towardes the Easte, and uppon the sayed Tenement cawled the Vyance towardes the west and conteyneth x acres.
One other Crofte cawled Hogge crofte, Bowndeth uppon the Landes belonginnge o the Busshopp of Rochester towardes the Sowthe, uppon the Lane called the Vyance Lane towardes the nothe and East, and uppon the foresayed long garden and the Busshops Landes towardes the west and conteyneth ii acres.
Somma off the acres 18.
IN THE TENURE OF JOHN EVESDONE:
One fylde cawled Askyns wt. a grove, Bowndethe uppon the Landes of… Ryccarde and henery Jarmyne towardes the Sowthe, uppon the highe waye leadinnge from Luddesdowne to the viance towardes the East uppon the Landes of the sayed … Ryccarde towardesthe northe and uppon the Landes of the L. Cobham towardes the west, and conteynethe xij acres…
CERTEYNE OF THE COLLEDGE OF COBHAM LANDES LETTEN TO MR. SERGEANT BARHAM. IN THE OCCUPATION OFF NICLAS BARHAM BY INDENTURE:
One Crofte called Vyance Brome Lyeth to the Landes of the Lorde Cobham called Lyttell pooreriche northe. To the landes of the sayed nyclas Barham called penFylde Easte. To the Landes of the sayed John Jarmyne Sowthe and west, and payethe for the same per ann. Iiij bz barley and conteynethe 3 acres.
One Crofte called Lyttell pooreriche Lyethe to the Landes of nyclas Barham called greatt pooreriche northe. To the Landes called upper churche Fylde East. To the Landes of the sayed Lorde Cobham called Vyance Brome and to the Landes of the sayede Nyclas Barham called pennffyld Sowthe. And to a certeyne lande waye leadinge to the Tennants landes there weste, and conteynethe 2 acres and payethe per ann. ijs. …
IN THE TENURE OF JO. MELSHAM:
…. The longe garden Lyethe to the Landes of the Busshoppe of Rochester weste and Sowthe. To the common Fote pathe leadinnge betwene the sayed Colledge and the Vyannce northe and to Hogges crofte east and conteynethe iij acres and vij dayeworkes.
Arch. Cant. Vol XXVII 1905 p.101-106
1803 May 20: That it is in the memory of several persons when there was not any Stile Footpath or Way leading from Churchfield part of Fiance Farm now belonging to the Earl of Darnley & in the occupation of — Fenner Widow by the Paymaster’s house to the back of the College. That there is not any public foot path or way there. And that the erection of such Stile & the use of such footpath or way is an encroachment upon & an infringement of the rights of the College. (This was arranged with Mr Stevenson, Lord Darnley’s Steward May 20th 1803 Stile removed). Cobham College Account Book [StvNb p73]
Article by Roger Cockett, February 2018.
Notes on Sources:
Arch. Cant. Vol XXVII containing an article on the Cobham Manors.
Cart Bart H is the cartulary of St Bartholomew’s Hospital, a calendar prepared by Nellie J. M. Kerling, which was published in 1973 (with City of London funding).
StvNb is a small notebook compiled by Miss E J Stevens who lived at Cobham Parsonage with her sister in the earlier part of the last century. She transcribed a number of original documents relating to Cobham from various sources. She wrote in ink (before c.1960) and occasionally in pencil.