The Shorne Woods Heritage Group is an offshoot of SWAG. Trevor Bent and Don Blackburn have been looking into recording the experiences and memories of locals in the Shorne Woods and Cobham areas. Their Oral History project has had great results.
Click here to go through to the memories of Betty Bicker-Robinson. Betty grew up in Kent in the early half of the 20th century.
Memories of Shorne Woods and Cobham
Below are a number of stories told by a variety of people who grew up in the area.
- Betty Bicker-Robinson: memories of WW2
- Alan Hills: Clay pit operations
- Vince (aka Paul): memories of Ashenbank
- Tony Austin: “Thong Lane all my life”
- Ray Lucas: Shorne in the 1950s
- Betty Grayland: memories of Shorne Woods
- Jack Hollis: memories of Ashenbank and Shorne Woods
- Peter Beech: memories of Shorne, the airfields and clayworks
- Betty Bicker-Robinson: who lived where 1938-40
- Betty Bicker-Robinson: memories of the ‘Old Curiosity Shop’, Cobham
- Pat Sandford: memories of the Darnley Estate
- Reg Rootes: memories of Shorne woods
- Anita Bridger:memories of the camps
- Betty Bicker-Robinson: memories of Cobham
- Ben Parish: memories of Shorne
- Alan Driscoll: memories of Shorne
- Nellie Dodd: memories of Cobham