Tag Archives: Cobham Landscape Detectives

Cobham Landscape Detectives research note 5: the Manor of Vyaunds

Introduction The family of Vyaundes (with various spellings) was in London and Cobham from at latest 1299 and Margery, the last of them, seem to have died about 1370. After that date, their land appears as a small manor, which … Continue reading

Posted in Research | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Cobham’s historic water supply

Cobham Village Pump and Cistern 1778 – Parish Pump Moves In the mid 18th Century, Cobham Village’s water was supplied from a number of ponds and a parish pump with an underground cistern located in Cobham’s The Street, close to … Continue reading

Posted in Research | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Betty Bicker-Robinson remembers the villagers of Cobham 1938-40

Betty Bicker-Robinson (nee King) was a young girl when she moved to Cobham in 1938 but has managed to recall, not only a vast majority of the occupants but also occupations of people who lived in the village at that time. Many … Continue reading

Posted in Oral History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Special finds from Cobham Big Dig 2017

Medallion – Band for Hope     The Band of Hope was first proposed by Rev. Jabez Tunnicliff, who was a Baptist Minister in Leeds, following the death in June 1847 of a young man whose life was cut short by … Continue reading

Posted in News & Events | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Bettie Robinson: memories of The Old Curiosity Shop’, Cobham

Betty Bicker-Robinson remembers ‘The Old Curiosity Shop’ from 1938-1942 The Old Curiosity Shop no longer exists and is now a domestic dwelling (39 The Street, Cobham). As well as being a shop, it was also the local Post Office. The … Continue reading

Posted in Oral History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment